Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Paris, Professional Attire, and Peering West

 Paris was ugh…decent. Pretty neat stuff. Alright fine, it was incredible, spectacular, (insert your favorite superlative here)…all the way from each monument surpassing my expectation all the way to the creperie I delighted at (because “eating at” doesn’t do it justice), which can only be charted up with the best things I have ever tasted in my life. The city itself was beautifully spread outwards rather than upwards which made for metro rides that took the best part of an hour but more importantly, there were beautiful views from any little rise or bump in the otherwise flat geography. This geography deceived me and Chad many times as we thought big things such as the Eiffel Tower or the Arc de Triomphe were much closer than the really were.
  One particular night at the Eiffel tower we looked in amazement across the city and saw that the Sacre Coeur Basilica (which we lived next to) was nothing more than a white speck on the hill in the distance. Nighttime at the Eiffel is magnificent as the towering structure flashes its lights at the top of every hour doing so for the last time at 1:00am. This particular occasion is equally awe striking because the rest of the towers lights switch off so you are left gazing at a darkened city with just the lights glistening against the blue backdrop of the night sky. The city like I said is very expansive and as we tiredly headed into the metro we realized how fortunate we were that we had chosen that particular night to watch the last Eiffel Tower show. Typically the metro is closed at midnight but that night it was open until 2:00am and the price tag on that potential cab ride still makes me cringe. Thank God for good fortune.
   We stayed with a very nice French fellow named Julien who was a massive fan of The Beatles and Bob Dylan. Records, CD’s, Posters, and memorabilia lined the walls of his place and being a musicman myself I appreciated the décor and of course I quickly became acquainted with the piano and guitar he had lying around. My favorite feature of his house was his bathroom, which he demanded us to leave a quote or a favorite verse in. All his guests before had done so and the walls, pipes, and toilet all had funny drawings, foreign language notes, thank you notes, and even inspirational quotes for those who look for such things in a bathroom.
  Paris as a whole seemed to be very aware of its image. I noticed this all the way from the laughable vastness and upkeep of the Palace of Versailles; all the way to the kids who threw rocks into the pond at the Luxemburg Palace dressed in their full suits. I sat there watching them in amusement as they ran around and chased birds looking better threaded than I did on my high school Homecoming outings, although in retrospect that really isn’t much of a feat considering my baggy hand-me-downs from my brother that I wore…but you get my point.
  At the airport I couldn't help but to smile as I showed the lady my boarding pass and walked up those steel steps to board my plane knowing that the next time I do so it will be onto a plane that is heading to the states. I feel like it is a moment that is supposed to be bittersweet but in secret actuality it was just 100% sweet. I am so grateful for each of my trips that I have had the privilege of taking. Anything more would be a blessing and anything less would still be one as well. Always counting my wealth of blessings. I am amazed to be living this semester in Europe as I continue to do so there are so many things I have learned about life here, things I have observed about life back home, and very importantly of course, are the many things I have learned about myself…

No comments:

Post a Comment