Sunday, March 23, 2014

Rainbows, Rocks, and Old Folks

We got a bit of rain today! Love walking in the rain. Absolutely love it. Chads family is visiting and we walked and talked our way around Montjuic and we were treated to many beautiful sights and sceneries. At one point we were walking on a lower pass and some people from above decided to lob rocks down at us. They crashed and cracked off the road in front of us… if one of those had made contact with us stitches would have surely been necessary but I’m sure they didn’t mean it. I put a rock in my pocket and took one in hand for short measure as we headed to the top…. As the rain drizzled on and off so did the appearance of rainbows over the ocean as if they couldn’t make up their mind on whether they wanted to stay or not, I didn’t mind. The rest of Barcelona seemed to glisten whenever the sun came back out and the shadowy clouds combined with that made for some amazing looking skies. Although I was kind of disappointed we didn’t see the rock throwers because I was curious to see if my arm is still up to par from my pitching days. 
         While with those lovely Ridenours I realized that I always really enjoying hanging out with people that I know I will see again. It happens whenever friends visit too. Obviously I love spending time with my abroad buddies but there is something unique about being abroad with people you know you are going to see again. It is great to be experiencing and living into memories that you will be able to reflect on later.
        Tonight the Ridenours graciously treated me out to dinner and as I dozed in and out of sleep on the rug at their apartment I felt like I was back in Santa Barbara again. We watched the re-runs of old Barcelona matches because “El Classico” (Barcelona vs. Real Madrid) is tomorrow and the TV stations build it up by showing past games. It is a massively significant game… maybe somewhere close to when the Yankees play the Red Sox, but on steroids…so basically just when the Yankees play the Red Sox. HAHA
      The city was truly mine as I skated home tonight, weaving through the road however I fancied. The streets where empty of cars and my only other company was the groups of night people here and there. I skated past a wide array of stories as there were girls struggling to stay on their feet as their friends carried them, all the way to the old dignified couples that strolled through the night holding onto each others arms as their feet pitter pattered through the lamp lighten streets. I hope I’m like the latter some day just roaming the streets with my gal.
Until then....




No comments:

Post a Comment